Queensland Statewide (all regions)
Meeting TimeBi monthly on the first Wednesday excluding January
Time2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Since Q Shelter convened the first forum in December 2019, over 125 people and organisations have been engaged in the issue of housing for older women in Queensland.
Q Shelter has continued throughout 2020 and beyond to support what has now become the Housing Older Women’s Movement (HOW M) to meet in person and via zoom meetings.
So far the HOW Movement has…
- invited in speakers to share research regarding the needs of older women no just in Qld but across Australia
- invited experts in housing development to help in considering a range of different housing design, finance and management solutions
- connected with small independent developers some of who have created responses from the needs they have experienced and observed for innovation in creating homes offering different options to meet a range of needs
- participated in Q Shelter’s learning series on town planning and developed a much clearer picture of what helps and hinders new innovation in housing
- conducted online forums with a range of speakers and participated in national level seminars, panels and other events considering the many dimensions of creating new housing options that will work best for older women aging in place and connected to community
- prepared and delivered a HOW M devised platform to every candidate in the State election in October
- made representation to other peak bodies for support
- prepared funding applications and developed new partnerships
All this work and more was conducted for the most part via online meetings. The HOW Movement works with a person convening the central Coordinating Forum and others convening working groups.
These working groups in 2020 focused on topics including:
- Innovative housing design, development, management and financing
- Specialist Housing Support Services for older persons in Qld – based on the very successful Home at Last model developed by the Housing for the Aged Action Group –HAAG in Victoria.
Pending Covid restrictions in 2021, the HOW Movement aims to offer participation in the Coordinating Group and working groups both online and face to face. Those registered for meetings will receive meeting notifications with Zoom details as well as a details for meetings that offer a face to face option.
Working groups operating in 2021
Working groups will meet as agreed by the group in between the bi monthly Coordinating Forums.
Working Groups develop proposals for consideration and action by the Coordinating Forum at a bi monthly plenary meeting. Pending Covid restrictions in 2021 How M aims to offer participation in the Coordinating Forum both online and face to face.
- Advocacy: Influencing public policy, program and resourcing of HOW M solutions
- Innovative Housing Development: Innovative design models that also take into account aging in place and community connection for older women.
- Small Scale Housing Development: Focused on looking at the opportunities and barriers small developers in particular are experiencing in the creation of innovative new homes – co housing, share housing, secondary dwellings
- Financial Product Development: Shared equity options and other ways of financing a home
Why HOW might be of interest:
- You might be experiencing housing insecurity now or know others who are likely to be in the not too distant future. If not you it might be a concern for a friend; family member or acquaintance.
- You might be a worker in the human services sector and know this situation exists for some of those with whom you work.
- You might have expertise in the area of advocacy, housing supply related expertise in areas such as design, finance, town planning, financial modelling for shared equity arrangement, legal and contractual matters, land acquisition, building and development experience.
If you have these or another interest in finding and making real homes for and with older women and would like to connect we are asking you to register to participate firstly in the Coordinating Forum. At some point one of the working groups might be of interest and you may wish to offer your experience there as well.
How to connect:
- Through its meeting registration process, HOW M uses technology to help stay in touch regarding meetings, zoom information, and face to face options and other special events. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
- Zoom details and meeting locations will be provided to those registered for meetings
- The Forum on The Deck is where our working groups come together and general conversation takes place
- The HOW Movement also has a Facebook page. CLICK HERE to follow and share.
- Contact Q Shelter’s Project Lead in supporting the development of the HOW Movement – Maggie Shambrook CLICK HERE TO EMAIL or phone 07 3831 5900.
- Please feel free to ask us to remove you from any further communication at any point.